View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Custom Payment Type not appearing in Bookkeeping 

Post Custom Payment Type not appearing in Bookkeeping
Using StudioCloud 3.1.310

Having added two additional Payment Types (PayPal and Bank Transfer) under Point of Sale, I'm finding that neither of them are appearing in "Payment Details" column when viewing either the Account Details or Account Running Balance within the Bookkeeping module. The default Payment Types that are already set up in StudioCloud ("Cash" etc) do appear in the Payment Details column.

I've checked to see whether there's some kind of check-box within the Payment Types dialogue box, when setting up or editing the new Payment Types, but can't find anything that I'm missing. Is this a bug? I'd have expected other/new Payment Types to appear within the Bookkeeping module, just like "Cash" does.

Thanks in advance.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:55 am

Post Re: Custom Payment Type not appearing in Bookkeeping
Hi nsjtaylor

I think I can answer that one as I have set up similar payment types. You are confusing Payment types with Accounts they are two separate things. A payment type is the method that is used to pay while the Account is the source or the recipient of that payment. For example a Bank Transfer Payment type would come out of your Bank Account as would a Debit Card Payment and a Cheque (Check in US) payment type. A Paypal payment type would come out of A Paypal Account. So what you need to do is set up a Paypal Account as if it was a bank account like a Main Bank Account or a Credit Card Account. in the case of a Bank Transfer payment type (mine is BACS, the official description of a direct bank transfer) you don't create a Bank Transfer account as the money is taken from one of your existing accounts (in my case NatWest Main Account) Similarly a Credit Card Payment type would come out of your Credit Card Account if you were paying it but be paid into your Main Bank Account if it was a credit Card Payment type from a client to you.

Payment Types are just used to track the method of the income or expense not where it is coming to or from.

Hope this clears it up.

Vike

Last edited by Vike on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:29 am
Profile WWW

Vike - thanks for the helpful reponse.

However, what I'm referring to is exactly that which is in your final sentence; "Payment Types are just used to track the method of the income or expense not where they is coming to or from".

When viewing the Account Details or Account Running Balance screens, and looking at the Checking Account, the Payment Details column only ever contains "Cash", "Credit Card" or completely blank if we select anything else (I double checked this at the weekend); it displays a blank entry if we select any other kind of Payment Type. Whilst this is only for reference of how we were paid and doesn't actually affect anything in the grand scheme of things, it'd be nice to see them! (for things like PayPal transactions, it'll also help us keep an eye on whether we need to upgrade our PayPal account, and have that done in advance of the need to do it, rather than scrabbling around to get it done in response to exceeding our current PayPal limitations).

Hopefully that made sense! (I've attached a screen shot as well; all blanks (with red question mark that I've drawn in) represent Payment Types such as "Paypal" or "Bank Transfer", which we added to Payment Types list ourselves - hence the opinion that this is a bug).

Attachment:
Payment Details.JPG
Payment Details.JPG [ 38.38 KiB | Viewed 8075 times ]

Cheers.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:00 am

Niall, I see what you mean now. Yes you're right there are blanks in that column for me too, but mine keeps listing "Check" as the payment type if I enter anything other than Cash or Credit Card, which is even more confusing. When I go to edit a blank entry, I find that there is no entry in the Payment box. I wonder if this is from all old entries where the then current version of SC did not have the facility to enter Payment types. All my recent transaction do have an entry but only Cash, Check, Credit Card or Transfer.

All my entries from my Credit Card Account are indeed listed as Credit Card. My Cash on Hand Account transaction are listed as Cash. But all my transaction in my PayPal account are listed as Check, where yours would be blank. Have a look what is in the Payment Box if you try to edit the transactions that show up as blank.

It would appear that Studio Cloud does not transfer user defined Payment types into the Account Detail - Payment Detail column, and only recognises its own default Types such as Cash or Credit Card or Transfer, seeing anything else such as Direct Debit, Debit Card, Paypal, Online, BACS, Standing Order, which are all my user defined types as "Check" the American spelling.

I've just rechecked before posting and it seems that I only have entries Listed in the Account Details - Payment Details column, but absolutely nothing in the same column under Running Balance.

Yes definitely a bug.... Steve any coments?

Vike

Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:10 am
Profile WWW

This issue was resolved in the latest update. StudioCloud version 3.1.312. To update either restart StudioCloud and click the update button or go to settings and click the "Check for updates" button.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]